Friday, October 28, 2005

Remote Controlled People


A Japanese telephone company is developing a remote control device that can be used to control humans. They suggest that the new technology could be used to enhance video games, but we know better.

Writer Yuri Kageyama tried out a prototype of the device, which uses a special headset that deploys low voltage electric currents into the cranium via a remote joystick.

From the article:

"I found the experience unnerving and exhausting: I sought to step straight ahead but kept careening from side to side. Those alternating currents literally threw me off.

The technology is called galvanic vestibular stimulation -- essentially, electricity messes with the delicate nerves inside the ear that help maintain balance.

I felt a mysterious, irresistible urge to start walking to the right whenever the researcher turned the switch to the right. I was convinced -- mistakenly -- that this was the only way to maintain my balance.

The phenomenon is painless but dramatic. Your feet start to move before you know it. I could even remote-control myself by taking the switch into my own hands."

Disturbingly awesome. Awesomely disturbing.

2 comments:

MO'SH said...

So did you post this article, or did Yuri direct you to?

It's "Invasion of the Long-Distance Bodysnatchers!"

Heh heh heh...snatch.

Jon Clarke said...

Now if you could make that smaller, and stick it in a hat, you'd be a b list batman villain.