Friday, January 27, 2006

It's been a long 30-some-odd years.

The arc of the birthday. You can't wait to reach the next year, until you hit your 30s. Then it's all damage control and spin.

I turned 37 on Tuesday. Thirty-seven. How did that happen? Wasn't I just 27? I barely acknowledged I was 30 until I was 34. When I turned 35 I thought: "Well, I'm in my 30s now." Indeed.

Thirty-six suddenly seems so spry. It's mid thirties. Right there in the sweet spot. Thirty seven? Well, shit, forty is just a couple of winters away. Three Christmases. Two MLK days. One more Feburary 29. But I'm not obsessed.

Went to North 6 in Williamsburg on my B-day to see OK GO. Their album's a bit poppy, but good show. Another late night on Wednesday. Our company had its holiday party (try to guess which holiday). Lot's of free drinks and karaoke afterward. And last night our comedy writing class went out for a few drinks after class. I need to sleep tonight.

8 comments:

psaur said...

Happy birthday, you creaky old geez. Yeah, when I posted the thing about a new president coming in on 1/20/09, I realized that that would be about two months before my fortieth. I try to look on the bright side--any new prez will be a nice enough present. Unless it's Condi, in which case I want a grenade launcher and a cyanide capsule. (A bitter pill, indeed...)

Funny, I've always pushed my age up, not back. Like when I was twenty-six, I told people I was 30. Now, just shy of 37, I tell them I'm 50. No one ever believes me, but I'm just waiting for someone to say, "Wow, you only look 45!"

You know what I always say: "Birthdays are like assholes." I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it's dead accurate. Anyway, Mazel Tov, birthday boy!

Mark Feigenson said...

Brian, you have a few good years left in you before you have to shop for adult diapers. Watch out for liver spots though-- they start around 37. Happy Birthday, man.

MO'SH said...

Hey, you'll always be juvenile as long as you're drinking!

Happy birthday, kid!

Cromely said...

Well, Happy Birthday. You're taking it better than I will. At 35 in a couple months I may need to think about that death grip I'm trying to maintaing on 27.

At what point does clinging to youth move from wistful to creepy?

Brian Kunath said...

Two years ago

the feeb said...

birthdays? they still have those?
to complete psaurs' thought: birthdays are like assholes, brown, sticky, and bloody! happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Its all down hill from here, you know that, right? You and me and everyone in their 30's, ahhh, we're all fucked.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Brian!

I didn't realize it was only your 37th birthday! Here I am, all along thinking you were 45! Boy, do I feel stupid, thinking you were so old just because you look like a homeless man ravaged by many nights sleeping in the gutter drinking what you can extract from a can of shoe polish. I sure learned a lesson here Brian - don’t assume a guy is so old because he looks horrible – because he may be young, and just work in advertising.

I keeed I keeed - happy belated man! See you at Johns next gig…