Monday, January 16, 2006

Art of the monologue

A while back I celebrated the death of the joke. Well, now I'm taking a class to learn how to write them. As David Brent would say while pointing to himself: "hypocrite warning!"

Yeah, I know.

The class is called "Writing Comedy for TV," and by the end of it I'm promised to have monologue jokes, skits and a sitcom pitch. That is, if I work hard. Which I have been. The first class was last Thursday and our assignment was to write twenty monologue jokes for the next class.

Now, I'm known as a quick-witted fellow (at least among my slower-witted friends), but it's not so easy to come up with twenty topical jokes. You end up with a lot of groaners and bizzaro punchlines that make no sense. Luckily, the instructor asked us to write some bad jokes so we could troubleshoot them in class. Twenty bad jokes? No problem!

The class seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun. It's full of smart, funny people, including this guy.

I'll probably be writing more about this in the weeks to come.

1 comment:

MO'SH said...

Now that's a late night show I'll stay up for. Hopefully, you'll invite me on as a guest. I'll be drunk, but not too drunk, but I still might throw up from the bright lights and the anxiety. But don't put me on with Seacrest. I promise you I will fuck his shit up in the Green Room!

I can't believe you would even have Seacrest on your show! Why not Mailer or Herzog? Or even Philbin! But not Seacrest. Come on!