Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fancy pants words

This was inspired by an AIM convo I had with Dave.

Want to seem smarter than you are? Try dropping a few of these polysyllabic (5 consonants) power punches.

Juxtaposition: My favorite college word. I tried to get it into every paper I ever wrote. "Hemingway JUXTAPOSES Macomber with Wilson to punctuate the protagonist's impotence." Oh, I smell a B+!

Ululate: It means to wail. I haven't had the chance to use this one yet. Perhaps at the next funeral I'll lean to the guy sitting next to me and whisper: "She's really ululating up there."

Postmodern: PoMo for short, it's a true, blue buzzword of the hipster set. It's traditionally used to describe art that refers to and comments upon earlier or other works of art. But you can use it almost anytime, in any context. Nobody will call you on it.

Phallocentric: Used to describe objects or attitudes that are male centered, usually to the oppression or exclusion of women. College-aged feminists use it to describe their salad dressing.

Misunderestimate: A Bushism. Use it ironically when you're making a sarcastic comment about the President's inability to speak. Then pause and say: "Wow, that was very postmodern of me."

Gestalt: This one is probably falling out of favor, but it's still a good word to use when you're not sure what you're talking about. No need to define it here, just be sure that when you say it you hold your hands up as if offering your audience an invisible globe.

Mendacious: Means untruthful. Don't use it: Just wait for someone to say "mendacious lies" and note that they just said the logical equivalent of "truth."

Filibuster: It's what I hope the Democrats have the balls to do come January. Use it casually, like when someone is running off at the mouth. "You wanna stop filibustering, here?" It usually throws them off long enough for you to run away.

Voluble: Someone who talks a lot. Sounds a lot like valuable and can be used to score passive aggressive points against your boss. "I find your daily meetings quite voluble." Your boss will actually thank you.

Modus Operandi: The way someone operates in a given situation. Bookend it with "whole" and "if you will" to sound casual, like the phrase just came to mind: "That's his whole modus operandi, if you will."

NAME-ian or NAME-esque: As in Dickensian and Kafkaesque. Shows you're well read or tuned into elite culture. Make up your own combinations (Pynchonesque, Koontzian), just be sure to always precede the word with "very."

You know what? I've run outta steam here. Please add your own.

4 comments:

MO'SH said...

A few of those are words I hear in context and get the gist of without being able to offer coherent definitions.

Like "gist."

the feeb said...

pffftt! college boys.

Jon Clarke said...

Reminds me of a Kids in the Hall skecth where Bruce was going to be fired for using the word 'ascertain' too much. He beat his obsession by discovering the word 'delineate'.

Lucy Starcrest said...

"Ululate" is one of my favorite words, but doesn't come up in conversation too often. If only I were Iraqi...