Wednesday, January 14, 2009

One more cup of coffee

Bob Dylan is maybe the coolest guy who ever lived. And here's one of my favorite lyrics from a great song off an under appreciated album:

Your sister sees the future
Like your mama and yourself.
You've never learned to read or write
There's no books upon your shelf.
And your pleasure knows no limits
Your voice is like a meadowlark
But your heart is like an ocean
Mysterious and dark.

That last line kills me. Fucking genius. And the violin is devastating.

That whole song evokes in me a short story by Steinbeck called "Flight." Don't ask me why. It might be a tone thing. Maybe it's the mix of American mysticism and hard reality. Maybe it's because the two families described could be neighbors. Maybe it's the outlaw themes. Read the story here.

Watch a performance of the song here:

4 comments:

the feeb said...

incredible. i have you to thank for getting me into that album. thanks! 'sara' may be my fave on the album.

MO'SH said...

Yeah, and I got into it because of Jimmy. Although I was familiar with the live version of "Isis" on Biograph. I think you once declared "Isis" should be our national anthem...

MO'SH said...

Also, if you'd like to hear an inferior version of "Cup of Coffee", I still have the Heirs' version posted on the Sleeping Brothers' Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/sleepingbrothers

One more bite of banality...

Nah, it's ok.

Anonymous said...

I love Dylan's look in this video. Its like his Pimpin' phase. That guy is a cool cat.