Friday, September 26, 2008

All my wisdom comes from 80's sitcom theme songs

ON ACCEPTING YOUR FATE
You take the good you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life.

ON DIVERSITY
The world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you might not be right for some.

ON RELAXATION
Making you way in the world today takes everything you got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot.

ON SELF PROMOTION
Gimme a break, I sure deserve it. It's time I made it to the top.

ON SELF DISCOVERY
Early to rise, early to bed. In and between I cooked and cleaned and went out of my head. Going through life with blinders on, it's tough to see. I had to get up, get out from under and look for me.

ON SELF ACCEPTANCE
I used to be sad, I used to be shy. Funniest thing, the saddest part is I never knew why. Kickin' myself for nothin' was my favorite sport. I had to take off, start enjoyin' 'cause life's too short.

ON APATHY
Maybe the world is blind. Or just a little unkind. Don't know.

ON FALLING IN LOVE
What would we do, baby? Without us? What would we do, baby? Without us? And there ain't no nothing we can't love each other through. What would we do, baby? Without us?

ON BREAKING UP TO BECOME A DJ
Baby, if you've ever wondered, wondered whatever became of me: I'm living on the air in Cincinnati. Cincinnati, WKRP.

10 comments:

the feeb said...

brilliant! but what about the wisdom scattered throughout the 'bj and the bear' theme?

MO'SH said...

Yeah, those Bears give great BJs!

Anonymous said...

Name that tune.... =) Reminds me of a long car trip.

Anonymous said...

B.J.'s wisdom was probably the best of all:

"GOOD ECONOMIC SENSE"

Its says right in the lyrics, "And best of all I don't pay property tax." Now thats timely wisdom.

Brian Kunath said...

Actually, BJ and the bear is one of the saddest songs ever written.

Hey there where ya goin',
Not exactly knowin'
Who says you have to call just one place home.
He's goin' everywhere,
B.J. McKay and his best friend Bear.

He just keeps on movin',
Ladies keep improvin'
Every day is better than the last.
New dreams and better scenes,
And best of all I don't pay property tax.

Rollin' down to Dallas,
Who's providin' my palace,
Off to New Orleans or who knows where.
Places new and ladies, too,
I'm B.J. McKay and this is my best friend Bear.

Anonymous said...

So true. BJ might be TV's closest reaction to Kerouac, with the line:

"Hey there where ya goin',
Not exactly knowin'
Who says you have to call just one place home."

We see BJ crossing the country in search of something that seems to elude him at every episode. Maybe its a woman's love, maybe a real Bear to be by his side or worst of all – maybe, its the American Dream itself.

Brian Kunath said...

Right, and his brave, almost delusional, attempt to put a positive spin on his lot in life is pure pathos.

But he's just a wandering, rootless truck driver moving from place to place with his best (only?) friend, a chimpanzee.

Lucy Starcrest said...

What show is the Apathy line from?

Brian Kunath said...

Click here and find out:

Which song?

Anonymous said...

That was the only one I didn't get right away, either. Damn, that's one bummer of a sitcom theme...