Monday, July 09, 2007

Four years ago.

The diner is overflowing. People standing in the doorway waiting for a two-top, a four-top, a six-top.

"Two, two" the owner says, wiping a table, his fingers in a "V."

A man and a woman follow him back, follow him back. A man and a woman. A woman and a man. Men, Women, in neat, complimentary pairs. And I'm watching from my two-top (for one) by the window.

A plate slides in front of me. "Two eggs over easy, a side of bacon and white toast. More coffee?"

My, that's a lot of bacon on my plate. And look at all those potatoes. I put my book down to eat, but I'm not happy with what I ordered. I'm never happy with what I order. It's a problem. I get overwhelmed by all of the choices on the menu. I want pancakes and eggs but I don't want to look like a pig, so I only order one. Invariably, it's the wrong one. Then, while I'm waiting for my meal to arrive, someone at a table next to me gets the thing I should have ordered. The hot, fluffy thing that steams from their plate while they hover toward their lover, who also has made a wise choice. Then I get jealous. Jealous of their meals and jealous of their lovers. Jealous, jealous while I spread jelly on my toast. While I jab a yolk with my toast. While I wipe the crumbs from the corners of my mouth in my corner of the diner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although it was more like 7 years ago, I remember Jon and I at a diner getting Belgian waffles and observing the cute/ackward (sp?) couple a few tables over.

We figured it was the morning after their first night together...not sure how to end the event one of them suggests breakfast....have some coffee to clear the fog while trying to mentally pinch yourself that it all actually happened....

Like I said, cute and ackward [still spelled wrong]....
We, of course, were the seasoned couple, a few months into what we both knew was THE relationship.
I wonder where that couple is now. :)

It is good to hear from you! I am glad you thing my boys are as cute as I do! :)

MO'SH said...

I've always enjoyed eating alone in a diner. The edifice, the dead bulbs, scuffed table edges, the pontoon of sugar packets -- these become your dinner companions. And they need to be appreciated from time to time. Especially when in a diner, that half-ghost of american commerce!

And at least you had the bacon!