Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Chophouse

I have no plans to make this a dream blog, but I did have another weird one last night. Scary as shit when it happened, but not so sinister thinking about it now. It's short:

I'm at work at around 11pm. This art director Ryan asks me if I want to get some lunch at "The Chophouse." Instantly my mind conjures a chopped steak and cheese sandwhich and we leave.

We go outside, but instead of midtown Manhattan it's a town park in upstate NY, and we're sprinting through the inky darkness of moonless night. I can barely see Ryan. He's a dark shape against a black background. But as we race up a grassy hill another human shape (a sinister shape) passes in front of us. We're not alone and I know we should keep running, but just then Ryan pulls a hamstring and yells out for help. I turn around and see him collapsed on the grass as the other figure now slows to a stop and starts moving slowly toward him.

I want to keep running, but I can't leave him there. So I yell out. "I'm coming to help. Let me just get my knife out. And my gun!" I try to talk all street but it comes out soft and suburban. Comical.

And then I wake up.


Dreams are all about mood. This one, recounted in the light of day, is a fairly bland little story. But it was terrifying at the time. And I think "The Chophouse" is a great touch, don't you?

5 comments:

the feeb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the feeb said...

creepy. "chophouse" sounds like a great title for a short story. i would like to see movies of your dreams.

MO'SH said...

It's brief and inconsequential to the story, I suppose, but the phrase "soft and suburban" is a lasting description. Excuse me if I use it...

Anonymous said...

I think you need to quit Wunderman...NOW!

Unknown said...

I think dave may be onto something. But I'm not sure the grass is any greener elsewhere, which is why I'm still hanging around. Hey, great interview question: "tell me about your last scary dream" ...