Tuesday, April 11, 2006

What I thought about on the subway this morning

Reasons J. Mascis can't decide whether he has egomania or low self esteem. (Relevant in 1994)

1) He plays huge, crashing guitar solos, but sings like he's afraid someone will hear him.

2) He named his band Dinosaur (Wow!) Jr. (Oh.)

3) It's not "Jay," but simply "J." Is that affected, humble or simply his name?

4) I swear I had another one.


Spare the whip and spoil the child.
My parents never whipped me. Perhaps if they had, I wouldn't be so damned spoiled. Sure, I was spanked occasionally. I was shaken, yelled at, jerked out of my chair and even punched in the face. But never whipped. Some parents whip. Some parents whip so much that call it whoop, because it's easier to say. Those are the one's that make their kids go and fetch a switch from the yard so they can whoop 'em with it. Imagine that task: Finding the weapon that will used on you. And you know those kids couldn't just bring back any old twig. It had to be young and green and springy and strong. I don't want somethin' that's gonna break on you halfway through the whooping. Get on out there at get me a damn switch that'll last! Somethin' from the maple family or a pricker bush. If it slices through this melon, it's good enough. If it don't, well then that's 20 more whoopin's.

Bet those kids weren't spoiled like me, though. Oh, and I was never punched in the face. OK, once, but I deserved it.

4 comments:

psaur said...

Regarding the relevancy of your Dinosaur Jr. musing (I'll leave the issue of your parents punching you in the face to a more qualified authority, such as a licensed therapist or Vince McMahon), I was watching Gilmore Girls last night--don't say a fucking word--and they had a visit with a character who had moved to Philadelphia. He was working at a zine publishing house, putting on poetry slams and wearing a t-shirt with the Green Mind album cover. I thought, jeez, he not only moved to Philly, he moved to 1992...

Also sorta relevant to 90's nostalgia: The Gilmore Girls season finale next month has appearances by Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo and Sparks (that one's more 1984)...

MO'SH said...

Sonic Youth on "Gilmore Girls?" Could it be that show isn't as gay as I accuse you of being for watching it regularly?

Brian Kunath said...

Jesus, is Jimmy writing for the Gilmore girls?

the feeb said...

not writing for them....but masturbating AT them!